Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Leak In The System

A Leak In The System
by Dove Subingsubing

The Internet empowers, indeed. "The Virtual Revolution" documentary by the BBC has opened my eyes to the limitless powers an individual can harness through the Internet, given sufficient resources and skills. The episode we watched, entitled "Enemy of the State?" presents the pros and cons of using the Internet for social networking, citizen journalism, and creating a whole new kind of virtual (but real) revolution.

---------------

On another note, I'm particularly interested in the website http://wikileaks.org/, which was mentioned and featured in the episode. I haven't heard of that website until today, so I decided to take a visit. I found out that Wikileaks is a "multi-jurisdictional public service designed to protect whistleblowers, journalists, and activists who have sensitive materials to communicate". Interesting to note that it's like a CIA by and for the people. It's very accessible to anyone.

I wonder if anyone has tried to attack or hack the Wikileaks system, because of the amount of information made public in that website. :P I would assume that the creators of that website are at high risks. Alam naman natin sa Internet, kahit ano posible. :P

Most of the posts in Wikileaks were from countries such as Germany, the United States, etc. I tried searching for any anomalies particular to the Philippines, but there wasn't much. :P

One post that caught my eye though, was about a Neo-Nazi website and forum called "Blood and Honour" (March 2009). They're calling their revolution a "musical revolution", since they're grounded on the Nazi ideals and advocacies of one band (I forgot the name of the band). I visited the website and oh my god, are they creepy. D: And they're actually visible in some places in real-time, where they're flashing their not-so-subtle skinheads and Nazi signs. D:

...If it wasn't for the Internet, I would never have acknowledge the fact that racist, white supremacists still exist. *chills* :O

- Dove

1 comment:

  1. Did you try searching for their music? It would be interesting if you could post or embed it here.

    ReplyDelete