Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Call for Action.

With the natural calamities that we have been experiencing for the past months, we can sort of envision the future of mankind. We see several predictions on the big screen. Experts have different claims on why these disasters are happening. We think. We assume. But whatever it is that’s running in our minds, there’s one thing that stands out, the environment - one of the most pressing issues that we must address.

During my childhood years, I was exposed to the abundance of nature as my family and I would usually spend our summer vacation in Bohol. I can recall how we would make hand-made "antipara" (goggles) that we would use for snorkelling the next day. We get to take a rest with the relaxing sound of the waves. Everything felt so natural not until the regular white beach front just across our ancestral house evolved to a now commercialized beach resort. Suddenly, tourists are all over the place and waste disposal became a problem. It was a mess. Then, I came to realize man's co-existence with the environment.
--
Years later while I was walking around the CAL Building over the summer, I saw this poster about a Global Youth Education Program that would expose students in various environmental situations. I applied for it and went through a screening process until I reached the final interview. Then just recently (June 28), I received a call as confirmation that I was accepted to the program and is one of the four representatives of the Philippines to the Denso Youth for Earth Action 2010. click here ",)


Thus, when asked to join an online group for a cause, the first thing that came to my mind was the word “environment”. I joined the The Nature.Net forums in GardenWeb.com where members are able to share stories and pictures of their encounters with Mother Nature. I particularly contributed to the forum called “Sustaining our Environment”. click here. ",)



I believe that the power of speech is such a good tool to affect and influence someone’s view and/or perspective on a particular issue. I blog about our environment. I blog about the pollution I experience commuting from one place to another. I rant. I inspire. Some may agree and relate while others may remain silent. There are different reactions. But for me the more important thing is, I speak up. I share my realizations and learning. If I blog about the future of this world and how it is in danger, some may reluctantly admit that they care. But at least, I informed them. And I believe eventually they will speak up as well. They will speak their mind. They will debate. And hopefully the debate is to change the system for the betterment of the environment.


“...We are the green people. But we must come to realize it for it to exist.”

“... A forum can be an eye opener for the green people to realize their worth, to be the protectors of our Mother Nature.”

In the end, whatever cause we may support, whatever advocacy we may have in our hearts, we must not forget to share it because it is in the art of sharing that we are able to make a significant call for action. ",)

No comments:

Post a Comment