Thursday, July 8, 2010

A New Internet Experience

I first decided to just edit a picture for this activity but I ended up editing a video. I guess I really suck at photo editing and it's a struggle for me to do that so I just edited a video (though I'm not that good at editing video too).

I wanted to make a video with pictures of nice weddings on it or cute little babies depicting the irony of weddings and innocence of a child but my eyes were caught by the pictures of Mr. Calvin Tan from his flickr account. I chose the pictures he took from Ulingan, Tondo. They are so compelling pictures about the lives of children in this part of Tondo. I've visited Tondo before and I have nice memories about the place despite the poverty. Yet, I can't deny the fact that children there don't have the same childhood experiences and environment that I have when I was a kid. So I decided to show their reality through this video.

The Collaborative Experience
It was my first time to navigate flickr so I had difficulty at first. But I contacted him after I registered for a flickr account and luckily, he replied to me. Then came the series of messages sent and replied messages. He was nice enough to help me with this project. He even offered to give me copies of his pictures physically (he is from singapore but he will visit the Philippines this saturday). But I have to tell him that this is due Thursday and the idea of the project is to do a collaborative work from someone in and through the net.

Then I learned that I can't just copy and grabbed pictures from his account just like in google images, he has to allow me first. Whoah. Nice. I never knew that before.

After this collaborative experience, I guess I didn't just met a new friend from the internet but more so my internet knowledge was enriched. Plus I have a flickr acoount now. hehe

Here's the video I made from the pictures taken by Calvin. You can see more of Calvin's wonderful works at http://www.flickr.com/people/caltan29/.


No comments:

Post a Comment